Pages

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Solar Cookin' :: Bottling Up the Sun

I confess the solar cooker my father-in-law helped to develop that we've had for, um...a barely-used 5 or so years was giving me the eye lately, so I cleaned her up and took her for a spin. After all, I had a quiche I wanted to reheat and feed my family for dinner, it's too hot to turn on the oven, and I've been given the green light to once again walk across our recently sealed deck.


She worked like a charm (if charms even work, that is)!

I was amazed that I was able to reheat the whole quiche straight from the fridge to the cooker at 5:30 pm. It took less than an hour to get it all toasty warm, and part of the time I realized it was in a spot of shade.

You can read about what I made today, what I used, how it works, where it came from, who created the cooker, etc. here on my recipe site.

A peak:

I think it is quite cool that my father-in-law was a solar film inventor. These solar cookers actually save lives. So not only are you green if you use one yourself, but you're also helping another person in a struggling country get one to help them avoid wiping out their fuel resources and becoming very ill.

The solar is REALLY on around here--49th day of 100+ temps. How about where you are?

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Cool invention! Today is the hottest day on record for our area; it is 97 and there are heat advisories all over the television.

Love the new header, too, Laura! Did you do it on Scrapblog, too?

Angela said...

That is so cool, Laura! I know you've told me all about it before, but I had no idea what it looked like. What an awesome idea. I LOVE how it is helping people who REALLY need them!

Deann said...

Hmmm... if we move to Austin, I may just have to invest in one of those!

Twisted Cinderella said...

That is really cool!!